Friday 17 October 2014

Flying solo with no electricity

So I am here in Amsterdam with Emily. Ready to run a marathon in two days time. Well I'm kind of ready. I'm sure I'll make it round. 

We both headed from different airports.emily from Heathrow and myself from Bristol. For me it was my first time flying alone. I've flown before but usually with other people so this time was a tad exciting. I watched as people queued up for the bag drop that wasn't even opened yet (you've checked in, you'll get your seat) , got felt up in security (security lady touched up my ass) and watched people jousting for position to get on plane (again it's prebooked seats!). I decided to take Sals approach which was pretty laid back and moved only when I needed to. What was the rush people! Met Emily at the amsterdam airport and we use the metro to get to our apartment. We are staying in an apartment so we can cook pasta when we need to plus it's just easier to chill out in an apartment. We managed to navigate a supermarket to get a few supplies before settling in for the night. TV was amusing. Some guy cooking quiche (in Dutch) - he was no Jamie Oliver. And the bbc programme The Musketeers. Actually there are a lot of British programmes. One wonders why they can't make their own.

Friday morning had an interesting start to it when I plugged the kettle and tripped the flat. So no electricity. That meant no coffee for Emily. That was not good. So we got washed, headed out to the marathon expo to collect our numbers. The expo was alright but not as good as the London one. Plenty to see and buy but I didn't buy anything. We did get a free t shirt (decent one too) and wristband. We also took a photo of us by our numbers. As we had no electricity the mobile phones were for emergency use only. When we got back there still wasn't any electricity and we were deciding to go and ask the cafe up the rd if we could charge mobiles when the landladys friend turned up. We worked out it was the kettle that had cause the problem and we were swapped a new one. We have electricity. Operation charging stuff had begun. With that problem sorted we went out to the supermarket to get weekend supplies. After trying to work out what ingredients were in things we headed to the tills and one was card only. As we were paying with card that wasn't a problem. What was the problem was is that they only accepted maestro which neither Em or I have. Luckily there was an ATM in the shop which took Visa so I quickly got some cash but as that till only took card I asked em to take the new packed shopping to another queue and we would have to have rescanned. When I got back Em was in the queue for the card only till - I pointed out the error and she realised what she was doing and moved to a till that took cash. We had to move fast because the ice cream was already starting to melt so when we got back to the flat we threw it in the freezer. After that we decided a little walk would be a good idea and we went for a little jaunt. Amsterdam is very pretty. Now chilling before starting today's pasta fest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment